Congratulations to our incredible Development Officer, Kristen Hutchison on being named a finalist for the 2023 Australian Pride in Sport Award’s LGBTQ+ Ally of the Year!
The Australian Pride in Sport Awards is a national event dedicated to recognising exceptional efforts in playing sports more inclusive of LGBTQ+ people. It is produced by Pride in Sport, the national not-for-profit sporting inclusion program spearheaded by Australia’s largest LGBTQ+ health organisation ACON.
At Lacrosse Victoria, Kristen has done some amazing work to aid in pride and gender equality across Victoria. Below is just some of the amazing initiatives Kristen has achieved in our community.
• Started lacrosse Victoria’s journey on the rainbow road map with Vic sport.
• Ensuring Lacrosse Victoria is a safe and welcoming environment for the LGBTQ+ community.
• Educating the LV board, staff, and clubs on diversity and inclusion.
• Started the LGBTQ+ advisory group to help raise people’s voices and provide feedback to organizations.
• Applied for the Lacrosse Together funding to create social connections and make a safe environment for LGBTQ+ community to play lacrosse.
• The first ever Pride Cup. Over 220 people participated in all gender fun social round robin event that celebrated our lacrosse pride.
• Advocating for GameDay to include gender identity options for the LGBTQ+ community.
• Supporting clubs or their inclusion journey.
• Educating all the clubs including University clubs on the LGBTQ+ community as well as inclusion.
• Flexible uniform policies and gender dispensation form.
Kristen has made a huge impact on the LGBTQ+ community throughout the past few years. Not only through education but also opening new doors up for the LGBTQ+ community to play lacrosse and LV who are able to organize and carry out these amazing events!
“I’ve never been nominated for an award like this before, although I’m still processing it all, I feel extremely honored to be nominated for such an amazing award like this. Even to this day, I am still learning something everyday about the LGBTQ+ community. I am very grateful to the support I have around me, I am also aiding in giving as many opportunities as possible to the LGBTQ+ community to participate in lacrosse. I hope that if I win the award that it can give Lacrosse Victoria further support of the LGBTQ+ community!”- Kristen Hutchison.
Congratulations Kristen! The whole Lacrosse Victoria community is supporting you. Best of luck!