Week 2 Men's Finals Wrap-Up

Members of the the U16 premiership team from Footscray celebrate their win
Members of the the U16 premiership team from Footscray celebrate their win
Image © Lacrosse Victoria  

Well, going by the winter we have seen in Melbourne everyone was a little nervous as to see what Lower Eltham Park grounds would dish?  Were they going to hold up? Or would we see a return of the good old days when you would lose two to three balls in the mud heap?  To the credit of the Eltham Lacrosse Club and Nillumbik Shire the grounds were in great shape and held up well. 

Footscray came away with the trophies in the U14's and U16's.   Footscray U14's were too strong for Williamstown, with the 21-2 scoreline to prove it, to finish as Premiers and Champions. 

Footscray U16's got out by 4-goals early against Malvern and then held that margin through most of the rest of the game as Malvern tried to get back on level terms, with the final scoreline of 9-6.

In the U18's Southerns steamrolled through to a 15-3 scoreline against Eltham-Surrey, setting it up for a challenging finish next week in the final.

In Div 3 Malvern jumped out to 10-1 lead early on, before the youthful Camberwell unit came back with a big surge in the last quarter to go down by only a narrow 13-11 margin.

Altona upset Camberwell by the same 13-11 scoreline in the Div 2 game, giving next week's hosts the chance to watch their team in a grand final on home turf.

Div 1 between Moreland and Surrey was tight all day, going from 7-7 at 3-quarter time to 8-7 Moreland's way at the end. So there's one more week of lacrosse in store for the Oranges, before all the club heavies jet off to Steve Weissbacher's wedding day in Austria.

In State League it was Malvern's day once more as the final whistle sounded with the scoreline at 11-10 over Surrey. Surrey had the running early on, with their American players leading the charge a la 2011, throwing in 3 quick goals in the first few minutes of the game. But Malvern stuck at the task until at the end of the third quarter an interception from Josh Naughton had the ball in the net over Tillo's head and another straight after had Malvern 8-7 up at the last change. Malvern started the last with two more for a 3-goal margin, but there were still 11 minutes to go and Surrey turned up the heat with 3 straight goals to draw level with still several minutes to go and all the possession. With Malvern's goalie Dave Gal making some awesome saves, and audacious runs, the ball found it's way to Nick Le Guen to bury it into Tillo's net. The final siren came with Surrey still striving to beat the goalie.


Your comments

Connect With LV

Check the latest FIXTURES and RESULTS now!CONTACT US with your questions and feedback - we'd love to hear from you!SUBSCRIBE to the mailing list to keep up with the latest news from Lacrosse Victoria!