State League Men's Finals

On a beautiful spring day in with the smell of spring (fresh cut grass and sizzling burgers) in the air Victorian Lacrosse fans played witness to a fantastic day of Lacrosse at the Footscray Lacrosse Club. 

With all fields in perfect condition the stage was set for teams to stake out their claims to their respective divisional trophies and it was Williamstown who perhaps defied expectations and placed all three of its senior teams into the State League, Division 1 and Division 2 Grand Finals in two weeks time.

In the State League clash between a young Footscray team and perennial finalist Eltham it was the local team who came away with a convincing 10 goal thumping 16 to 6 of their lacklustre opponents and in doing so perhaps signalling a new era in Victorian Lacrosse. The win, which emphatically reversed a shock loss against Eltham two weeks previous would book Footscray a chance to prove themselves against the loser of the 1st and 2nd placed teams Surrey Park and Williamstown. On a day where Eltham never looked in it Footscray were ably lead by defender Chris Miles who time after time stripped star attackman Nathan Stiglich of the ball and denied Eltham time with the ball on attack while at the other end it was American import Jack Mooney who racked up five goals during the middle two periods to put daylight between the teams. Former Eltham player Daniel Stiglich also scored a bag of goals and assists for the rising Bulldog squad.

In the 1 v 2 game it was Williamstown who came out trumps in a see-sawing affair and one of the most hotly contested games of lacrosse seen in recent times. Minor premiers Surrey went into the game favourites after convincing wins against Williamstown during the season but were held in check by a patient Williamstown defence lead by veterans Sam Marquard and Chris Welsh. At the other end of the field Surrey's defense battled mightily as well with outstanding play by goalkeeper Chris Tillotson and close defence by Andrew Ham. With Surrey leading at the final change the game looked poised to be a thriller and did not disappoint. Williamstown scored 3 goals to Surrey's 1 and had a fourth goal disallowed after Surrey playing-coach David Spreadborough called for stick check that would prove successful cancelling the goal and putting Surrey a man-up with the ball and 40 seconds in which to draw the game and send it into overtime. However it would be Williamstown's longstick defense that dispossessed Surrey of the ball and wound down the clock with a nail-biting victory sending the Fearon's into the Grand Final to await the winner of this week's preliminary final between Surrey Park and Footscray.

This week's games and times Saturday 10 September at Mont Albert Reserve (Surrey Park LC)

9.00AM U14 Malvern Vs Camberwell Grand Final
U16 Div 1 Williamstown Vs Footscray Grand Final
10.45AM U16 Div 2 Williamstown Vs Northcote Grand Final
U18 Footscray Vs Chadstone Prelim' Final
12.30PM Div 2 Men Malvern Vs MCC Prelim' Final
Div 1 Men Surrey Park Vs Eltham Prelim' Final
2.45PM Div 3 Men MCC Vs Elham Prelim' Final
State League Surrey Park Vs Footscray Prelim' Final




Your comments